Friday, April 15, 2011

Yummy MEAT CRUST pizza.....

I haven't eaten gluten in over two months and it's been a little easier than I had imagined.  One thing I have missed is pizza.  For as long as I can remember Matthew and I have had pizza on Thursday nights (his Friday).

Earlier this week I stumbled upon a recipe for meat crust pizza (who would have thought?).


I had to try this out....


Last night I pulled out some ground elk and began making...

1.  2 lbs of ground meat (elk in my case)
2. 1 tsp of Celtic salt (I used REAL SALT)
3. 3/4 cup cheese + more for top (half mozzarella, half cheddar)
4. 2 tsp of dried basil
5. 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
6. 1 egg


Mix in mixer for a few minutes. Using a very large cast iron, I spread the mix evenly in the pan (it will shrink when baked).


Our toppings last night included....
7. sauteed onions
8. red sauce (I used pre-made from a glass container)
9. mozzarella cheese
10. baby spinach
11. crumbled bacon (for Matthew's half)
12. fresh sliced tomatoes (put on after baking)


Bake crust for 10-12 minutes at 450, drain off fat.  Add toppings as you would any pizza. Broil until topping cheese is melted to perfection!


Both Matthew and I thoroughly enjoyed the pizza.  Next time I'll make the crust a little thinner, it was almost an inch thick in places.

Recipe modified from the following blog. http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/04/12/cds-dream-dinner/

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I baked nasty pre-frozen mini pizzas for dinner last night. Yours KILLS mine. :) Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dinner is WAY better than the one I threw together last night! Sounds delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete